Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Create:

A Day in the life of Hemophilia
Hemophilia is a rare inherited bleeding disorder creating
healthy cells from flakes of skin;
corn-flake shaped snow crystals
are a type of frost forming on
questions in college-level courses:
“Were the unicorns unhappy with then-President Bush?”
Yet here and there people claim, like Blake,
to have seen fairy funerals.
Everybody hates funerals,
Piss in my cornflakes,
piss hell.
The present hell, is somewhere in the heart of potatoes
in a bucket with high stalks.
When you have practiced stalking by day
at night-time it may not be possible to stalk in the upright position.

Did he ask me as a friend or could it be more?
Rush replies, “I don't know. I can't read Hebrew”
To which I replied... "Patient ADD,
this domain is not for sale, so stop asking.”
The technician got tired of waiting,
put a butterfly band-aid on my extreme
enlargement of limbs and other body parts.
Life with hemophilia is better,
brighter and more secure than ever.

----------------------------------------

This is my completely obscure, unorderly, strange Flarf poem. I initially started with the search of one word, “hemophilia.” I was then started to follow the example of another Flarf poet, whose poems contain a certain scheme, in which the last word of each line is used to create the beginning of the next line. This actually turned out to be extremely difficult because Google searches for one particular word were both tasteless and boring or merely a standard definition (ex: Hemophilia is a rare inherited bleeding disorder). My poem started out as more of a chopped up research paper than Flarf. I then began to expand my searches to phrases like “unicorns and Bush” and “snowing cornflakes.” This helped me greatly, and my research paper on hemophilia evolved into a journey through funerals, hell, and a trip to the doctors… I think. This poem is pretty vague and doesn’t have a true message, but it was quite an experience to create.

0 comments: